Well gang, it’s nearly 2008. This year has flown by. This past month has been insane. Forget global warming. I want someone to figure out how to slow down time. I swear that the days are going by a lot faster than they did just a few years ago. At this rate, I’ll be in my 70’s by next year! I feel as though I’m living in dog years.
I’m sure you’re all just dying to know what’s been going on in my life. I’ll try to summarize the past month briefly.
- The Spouse has been working ridiculous 70 hour weeks, of course.
- YS is home from school until the beginning of February. His only desire for Christmas was snowboard stuff. He needed new boots, bindings, coat, and pants. He got it all. He has been snowboarding twice since Christmas and has had a blast.
- We went temporarily insane about 10 days before Christmas. We went to Best Buy to purchase a Sony LCD TV they had on sale – a 46″ with a Sony 5.1 surround sound system for $2000. They were out of the system. I hinted that, since the ad did not say “quantities limited”, they could be accused of baiting and switching unless they allowed us to place an order for the system. They went back and forth in the course of 30 minutes between saying we could order it, we couldn’t, there were some available, there weren’t, until finally they acknowledged there were none, and we couldn’t order one because it was a Sony special, BUT we could have any LCD TV in stock for $200 over cost AND any surround system AT cost. This is where I plead temporary insanity. I’m a technology/electronics/gadget junkie. I admit it. I have been longing for an HDTV for ages. Somehow, I managed to get The Spouse to buy into my madness. We bought a 52″ Sony Bravia 52XBR4 LCD HDTV for $2900 (it’s a $4,000 TV), and a Yamaha 5.1 surround sound system for $419 (retail is $529). We wanted a Blu-Ray DVD player ($499), so since the 80GB PlayStation3 is the same price as a blu-ray DVD player, it made sense to buy the PlayStation3 and get the game console as well. So we did. And of course, we needed a game, so we bought Call of Duty 4. Of course, we needed a stand for the TV – no discount on this item. Price: $329. And everything is 3 years no interest, naturally. Total price with sales tax? $4600. See – insane. But wow, what a TV, and what an incredible picture when playing a Blu-Ray DVD!!!! I found a website with all the tweaks to make the picture the best it can be (the out-of-the-box settings are terrible) and it just looks awesome.
- Of course, this required upgrading to DirecTV HD with an HD-DVR. Price: I did some wheedling here and got the same deal a new customer gets – $199 for the DVR instead of $299. HDTV is amazing, especially the stuff on the Discovery HD Channel. Wow!
- The Daughter and SIL bought the exact same thing.
- OS and his wife started it all because THEY got the original special. So, we all now have Sony Bravia LCD TVs and PS3s. Crazy.
- We spent Christmas at The Daughter’s opening presents with the grandkids, then we all piled into our Suburban and drove 90 minutes to OS’s house to spend the rest of the day with his family, DIL’s father, mother, stepfather, and sister, eat an amazing prime rib DIL’s father buys every year, open presents again, then pile back into our Suburban and drive home in the snow, drop The Daughter and her gang off at their house, drive home, and finally fall into bed about 11:30PM. Riley had a blast playing with 3 other dogs – Lola (The Daughter’s Shih Tzu), Misty and Whitney (OS’s miniature Schnauzer and Pomeranian). A very nice Christmas was had by all, and way, way too much money was spent on the grandkids.
- Work is still crazy, with us still working all the bugs out of the new software version. On the 17th we’re switching from our current public internet access management program to a different one – tons of work for me, and another new thing for the staff to adjust to.
- We have so much snow it’s not even funny. Riley goes out to pee and comes back in looking like Frosty’s dog – just one giant snowball.
- The Spouse is working until who knows when tonight. We’re supposed to go to The Daughter’s for New Year’s Eve – OS and his family, and YS are there already – but he may just be too tired to even make it until midnight. We’ll see.
- I have tons of photos to post – tons, including snow pix and pix of the new TV setup (by the way, we HAD a Hitachi 53″ projection TV. It now resides in YS’s bedroom!)
- I hope to return to normal by the end of January.
- I haven’t had a hot flash in two weeks!
Well, that is about as brief as it gets for me. I hope you all have a terrific time tonight, wherever you are, and whatever you are doing. You have no idea how much I miss you all. I can’t wait until I regain some normalcy in my life so I can return to reading blogs and commenting on them. This pace is just too difficult to maintain.
Happy New Year, everyone! May 2008 be the very best year yet!